We are living in an era where everything can be availed with a click or a tap. Whether it be cab services, entertainment, food, hotel stay, software applications, IT services or anything in between. In other words, all services and products, that are not yet, will soon be available “as-a-service”. This model is known as Everything-as-a-Service or “XaaS” in the IT world. Its origin comes from various technology-based products, services and applications that can be accessed through the internet or via a traditional purchasing and delivery mode.
Everything as a Service (also referred to as “Anything as a Service”) has evolved in recent times. This is due to the popularity of the cloud and expanded through various “as-a-service” (aaS) models such as infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS), platform-as-a-service (PaaS), software-as-a-service (SaaS) and many more.
It all began with SaaS. From there, various service models have evolved. Then along came the cloud enabled environment where any device, service or technology solutions could be delivered on a pay per-month model or simply based on the amount of usage by the consumer. These services can be accessed over the internet or through a traditional delivery model. Some examples of such as-a-service models in recent time are Device-as-a-Service, Personal Computers-as-a-Service and Printer-as-a-Service among many other bundled services offered on a pay-per-use basis.
Three levels of a Cloud-based Service Model
With the explosion of data now be capture, there is an increased need for more data analysis and it is essential to make this data relevant for businesses. Most companies are eager to adopt this model and plan to migrate to cloud based infrastructure if they have not already.
There are some key reasons for the migration to a cloud-based model.
- Be it hardware, software or services there is a reduction in overall cost, maintenance, time consumed by their IT staff in day-to-day IT activities with a cloud-based model.
- All new applications and technologies are developed and supported by the cloud. Hence, it is easier for the businesses to adopt by just downloading an application.
- By handing over all the IT related services and maintenance to a cloud-based model, companies can utilize all their capabilities to develop and expand their business.
XaaS leads to Digital Transformation
Globally, the XaaS model has been expanding and getting more traction from all vertical industries and service sectors. XaaS has covered all possible services and solutions be it technology-based services or day-to-day requirements ranging from food-delivery to baby care services and everything in between.
Some major reasons for XaaS as a business model to grow and expand worldwide are:
- Now a day’s work isn’t confined to the office or to fixed office hours. Rather the modern workplace has a growing number of mobile workers who need to connect with their client and business associates 24/7. These workers need near real-time updates. With the changed work culture, the everything-as-service model will develop and grow.
- For a company to further their journey on the digital transformation path, they need more flexibility, agility and scalability. All of these are essential for any company to accomplish this transformation. XaaS allows any company to select the service package that is suitable for their present business needs with the option to make any changes as their needs evolve.
Everything-as-a-service has vigorously disrupted the traditional business model and given a significant advantage to those businesses that are eager to take their environment to a higher level. The as-a-service model will not only provide more opportunities to managed service providers (MSPs) but also more challenges. MSPs will need to cater to the growing needs of their customers developing and suppling more customized solutions and on-demand models that will be able to meet the more varied needs than are presently required.
This model offers equal business opportunities for channel partners who with their strength of customer knowledge, can be important players in the changed business environment. A hybrid business ecosystem with equal opportunities for all the stakeholders will be available through an everything-as-service model there by improving overall business efficiencies. With the continuation of new technologies and innovations to come, the everything-as-a-service model will continue to gain more traction and will flourish in the coming years.
~ Arpana Bharti, Research Analyst